USEFUL PHONE NUMBERS
AREA CODE : 22850
COMMUNITY CENTRE : 71.545
INFORMATION OFFICE : 74.184
MEDICAL CENTRE : 71.388
is the Southernest island of the Little East Cyclades. It is south of Naxos,
east of Ios and west to Amorgos.
Its area is 48,078 squ. klms. It is 18 knots away of Naxos 2,5 from the Southern tips of Gaitani and Katomeri, both in Naxos. It is 6 knots from Ios, 19 from Katapola of Amorgos, 1 from Schoinousa and 5 from Koufonisi.
Its coastline and beaches vary from sandy ones like Ag. Georgios, LIvadi, Vorini Spilia, Alimia, to pebble like Tourkopigado, Ammondi, Karvounolakos, to low rocky ones like Xilobatis, Trimpounas, and quite steep ones like Merihas, Vala, Stroggylos, Kavos, Kathreptis and more. All of them have crystal clean waters.
Regular Summer cruises around the island take place providing access to beaches that are otherwise inaccessible on foot.
There is a doctor's office on the island and possibly a dentist will be visiting 2 to 3 days a week.
The little taverns, cafes and bars of the island that are all neat and picturesque and provide full service.
The people are all hospitable and greet all the visitors with faces lit up with a smile. There are 80 rooms to let but for the summer season it would be wise to book a room in advanced. The population of the island is 115 residents.
· St. John's cave has a rich natural decor of stalagmites and stalactites. It is the largest cave of the Cyclades and one of the best in Greece. It has been recommended by our community to by subsidized by the European Community. Until it is properly developed visitors must be very careful and repect the landscape as it takes fifty years for a stalactite to grow just one c.m.
· The "MERIXAS" bay is engulfed by vertical rocks more than 100 metres of hight.
· The "KASTRO" at Livadi was a fortress of the Hellenistic period.
· The top of the hill "Papas" from where one can admire the view of the islands and iles that surround the island, or are even beyond it (Ios, Paros, Antiparos, Naxos, Donousa, Ikaria, Makares, Koufonisia, Schoinousa, Keros, Antikeri, Fidou, Agrilou, Amorgos, Anidros, Anafi, Santorini, Venetico, Avelonisia, as well as the entire dentelated coastle of Herakleia.
· The Holy Church of the presentation of Virgin Mary at the village of "Panagia". It is rather oversized for the standards of the island. It was built next to the old church that is called Ag. Nektarios today. It was being built from 1919 till 1930, but it was completed only the recent years.
· The Church of Agios Georgios at the namesake village . It was built around the year of 1834. Its roof leaked badly and it was renovated in 1998.
· The Private Church of "TAXIARCHIS". It was built by the priest Manolis Simos at the end of the 19th century. The temple of the Church is a masterpiece.
· The little Church of Prophetes Elias, was built at the ruins of the old church by the Association of the Herakleians of Athens in 1960. The main benefector is Sophia Vidali.
· Agia Paraskevi was built with money provided by Sophia Vidali.
· The little Church of Agios Mama built with money provided by an anonymous.
· The 15th of August the celebration of Panagia (Virgin Mary) at the namesake village.
· The name day of Agios Georgios at the namesake village.
· 28th of August on the eve of the nameday of St. John the Baptist there takes place a service at the grand room of the namesake cave. Crowds gather from all the nearby islands and it is a splendid spectacle.
· 8th of November there is a fete on the name day of Taxiarches.
From Pereus to Herakleia every Monday and Friday at 18:30 with return on the next day.
From Naxos to Herakleia with "SKOPELITIS",
a local ship every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday at 15:00.
Starting from 16-7-2000 "SKOPELITIS" will be on a daily trip from Naxos to Herakleia.
For more information call the following Travel Agencies:
Á) Gaggelis Gavalas : 22850 -71561, 71539 Â) Dimitris Roussos : 22850 -74236